How Do You Get Rust Stains Off Tools?
When your tools are exposed to water, they can develop rust. Rust forms when iron and oxygen react with water, forming an instantly recognizable reddish-brown or orange stain. If you don’t clean your tools right away, the rust will eat at the metal until it eventually disintegrates. When you’ve invested a substantial amount of money in your tools, there’s nothing quite so alarming as noticing rust development.
How to clean rust stains off your metal tools
You can clean your rusty tools with some basic household products, or opt for a commercial rust stain remover like Magica® Rust Removers. Here’s how to remove rust stains from your metal tools:
- Soak them in vinegar: One way to remove rust is to fill up a glass jar with basic white vinegar and let your tools soak overnight. This should remove the rust from the metal. Simply remove the tools, rinse with clear water and dry thoroughly. If the rust still remains, repeat the process or try another method.
- Make a vinegar and salt paste: If you can’t soak your tools in vinegar, make a paste out of vinegar and salt. Apply to the tools and let it sit for about an hour, making sure that it stays damp throughout. Then use a stiff-bristled brush to scrub the paste across the surface of the tools, breaking the rust down and getting it off the surface. Rinse with fresh water and dry.
- Baking soda and water: If you don’t have vinegar and salt on hand, baking soda can also fight rust stains. Like the vinegar and salt paste, mix enough baking soda and water to form a thick paste and apply to your rusty tools. Let sit and scrub with a brush until the rust is gone.
- Sand it off: For extra-stubborn rust stains, you can use sandpaper. First, wipe down your tools, using a degreaser if necessary. Then use steel wool to get the bulk of the rust stain off. Switch to coarse grit sandpaper to remove the rest, and if there are any layers or patches remaining, use fine grit sandpaper to finish the job.
- Use Magica® Rust Removers: This is the easiest way to remove rust from tools and virtually any other surface. Magica® comes in spray and gel formulations, suitable for large and small jobs alike. Simply apply Magica® Rust Remover to your tools, scrub if necessary and rinse clean.
Prevent rust from forming again
Once you’ve gotten the rust off your tools, it’s important to make sure they don’t rust again. Always thoroughly dry your tools before putting them away, and consider adding a protective coating to the metal. This will prevent moisture from coming into contact with the iron, and will keep your tools looking and working great for years to come.
Are you struggling with stubborn rust stains on your tools, machinery and more? Magica® Rust Remover is designed to make rust stain removal easier than ever. Skip the elbow grease when you shop our online store today!